Deputy Chief of StaffLocation: New York, New York
The Mayor’s Office of Criminal Justice (MOCJ) advises the Mayor of the City of New York on criminal justice policy. MOCJ develops and implements strategies to reduce crime and incarceration and to promote fairness and legitimacy. MOCJ works with law enforcement, city agencies, non-profits, foundations and others to implement data-driven strategies that address current crime conditions, prevent offending, and build the strong neighborhoods that ensure enduring safety.
MOCJ is seeking a Deputy Chief of Staff to assist with team management and provide high level administrative, policy and research support to the First deputy Director and the Chief of Staff. Job responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- Directly managing day-to-day staff operations;
- Monitoring and coordinating a budget, personnel matters and other sensitive or confidential tasks as may be assigned by the Chief of Staff;
- Final review of confidential personnel matters, city travel, new needs proposals, etc. for agencies and Mayor’s Offices;
- Drafting, compiling and editing briefing materials, memos, and policy specific research;
- Working in coordination with City Hall communications, press, and legislative affairs teams to advance City goals;
- Managing agency relationships and coordinating interagency actions, ensuring a consistent message internally and externally;
- Providing guidance on all documents that come into and leave the team for continuity;
- Supporting the establishment and maintenance of relevant electronic and paper files, including project, program and communication files;
- Assisting in miscellaneous stakeholder outreach, special projects, and events;
- Special projects and policy development tasks, as may be assigned by the Chief of Staff or First Deputy, including acting as a proxy in senior level meetings;
- Other duties, as assigned.
The successful candidate must have a broad range of skills, but above all, they must be curious, flexible thinkers who love learning new things and tackling challenges on a daily basis. In addition, the preferred candidate should possess the following:
- A baccalaureate degree from an accredited college/university;
- A minimum of five (5) years of full-time relevant professional experience in local government, public policy, public administration, or program development;
- A deep understanding of policy issues related to the City of New York and the provision of services across its five boroughs
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office and spreadsheets;
- Ability to balance competing priorities, complex situations and tight deadlines; ability to think outside of the box and develop novel strategies for analysis; ability to work independently in a fast-paced environment; ability work comfortably with a wide variety of people at different levels within the organization;
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills;
- Attention to detail and excellent organization skills, including the ability to manage complex projects, sensitive information, analytical data and multifaceted internal and external relationships;
- Experience managing multiple employees as part of a team, as well as interfacing with senior officials;
- Demonstrated experience in task and information management, including adhering to targeted deadlines and problem solving;
- Graduate degree (JD, MPA/MPP, MS) preferred
- cover letter
- three references
Please be sure to include "Deputy Chief of Staff" in the subject line.
New York City Residency is Required Within 90 Days of Appointment.
The City of New York and the Office of the Mayor are Equal Opportunity Employers.