Program Manager, Justice Implementation Task ForceLocation: New York, New York
The Mayor’s Office of Criminal Justice (MOCJ) advises the Mayor of the City of New York on criminal justice policy. MOCJ develops and implements strategies, with partners inside and outside government, to reduce crime and fairness and to promote fairness and legitimacy.
The Program Manager will be responsible for providing project management and programmatic support for the City’s initiative to close Rikers Island, through project management of the Justice Implementation Task Force and the City’s related strategies to safely reduce the jail population, improve the culture inside jails for both staff and incarcerated individuals, and ensure innovative, modern and humane jail design. The Program Manager will also coordinate the work of the Behavioral Health Task Force and all health initiatives related to Close Riker. The ideal candidate will have experience in direct social services and/or criminal justice, community engagement skills and experience, and an entrepreneurial capacity to coordinate the diverse set of constituencies and strategies needed to execute large scale change. Among the tasks the Program Manager will need to execute are:
- Managing ongoing work related to the Justice Implementation Task Force, including the organizing of meetings, dissemination of research and policy briefings, documentation of outcomes and input of the Task Force;
- Developing communication materials and strategies to advance Task Force goals and report on progress, including web, social and traditional media engagement;
- Organization of opportunities for public engagement and participation in the City’s efforts
- Operationalizing, monitoring and tracking the City’s strategies towards closure of Rikers, for both internal and external reports on progress and alignment with long-term goals;
- Cultivating and maintaining excellent relationships with stakeholder groups, other government agencies, community non-profits, advocates, family members, and justice-involved individuals;
- Represent MOCJ and the efforts of the Justice Implementation Task Force at meetings with community-based, governmental, and business entities, among others;
- Administrative support as needed, including contract management, preparation of meeting materials, and other duties as assigned.
PREFERRED SKILLS AND/OR QUALIFICATIONS
- A BA in relevant field required with a Master’s Degree preferred, plus minimum three years (or 18 months with MOCJ) of full-time professional experience in criminal justice, or a related field;
- A thorough knowledge of the NYC criminal justice system;
- Familiarity with NYC neighborhoods and experience and commitment to community engagement;
- Excellent organizational, time management, and multi-tasking skills, including the ability to take initiative, problem solve, prioritize duties, balance competing priorities, work independently and with teams in a fast paced environment, pay close attention to detail, meet deadlines and work well under pressure;
- Strong interpersonal and leadership skills, including ability to effectively lead and facilitate meetings involving diverse groups of stakeholders;
- Effective oral and written communication skills, including skill at public speaking;
- Proven ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships and capacity to work both independently and cooperatively to implement key strategies.
Commensurate with experience.
- cover letter
- three references
New York City Residency is Required Within 90 Days of Appointment.
The City of New York and the Office of the Mayor are Equal Opportunity Employers.