Project ManagerLocation: New York, New York
The Mayor’s Office of Criminal Justice (MOCJ) advises the Mayor and First Deputy Mayor on criminal justice policy and is the Mayor’s representative to the courts, district attorneys, defenders, and state criminal justice agencies, among others. MOCJ develops and implements strategies to reduce crime and incarceration and to promote fairness and legitimacy. MOCJ works with law enforcement, city agencies, non-profits, foundations and others to implement data-driven strategies that address current crime conditions, prevent offending, and build the strong neighborhoods that ensure enduring safety.
The Mayor’s Office of Criminal Justice (MOCJ) advises the Mayor of the City of New York on criminal justice policy; develops and implements strategies to reduce crime and incarceration and to promote fairness and legitimacy; and works with criminal justice agencies and partners to implement data-driven strategies that address current crime conditions, prevent offending, and build the strong neighborhoods that ensure enduring safety. Many of these initiatives have a technology and data integration components. To date, MOCJ has relied on consultants and DoITT to execute on these. MOCJ is building a project management practice to become more self-sufficient and to have direct control over the managing of its projects.
The successful candidate will serve as a MOCJ Project Manager, managing technology and data integration projects and reporting to the Executive Director of Information Technology. The candidate is expected to work closely with MOCJ Program staff, partner agencies and external contractors.
- Determine the project approach, resource requirements, team roles and responsibilities, and schedule;
- Develop and review estimates and assumptions for the projects schedule, effort, and cost using established estimating models, best practices, and past experience;
- Create project charter and scope statements, weekly status reports, risk and issues log and other project deliverables;
- Create and manage project, risk mitigation, and communication plans and daily scrums and project meetings;
- Analyze and interpret burn down data to determine KPIs, resource allocations, budget estimates, and timelines;
- Manage projects throughout the entire assessment and software development lifecycle, providing direction for project teams and monitoring the progress of deliverables and tasks;
- Provide oversight and management of blended teams of independent IT consultants and staff; manage vendor relationships including participating in the development of RFPs and selection of vendors;
- Assist in the development and maintain PMO policies and procedures, standardized reporting and ensure adherence to all City standards and best practices;
- Define team member roles and expectations and ensure resources are engaged and used effectively;
- Participate in the review of project artifacts including technical requirements, design, architecture, testing and implementation documentation;
- Develop support and staffing plans and present to senior leadership;
- Report to senior management and stakeholder agencies on project status.
- A master’s degree in computer science from an accredited college and three years of progressively more responsible, full-time, satisfactory experience using information technology in computer applications programming, systems programming, computer systems development, data telecommunications, database administration, planning of data/information processing, user services, or area networks at least 18 months of this experience must have been in an administrative, managerial or executive capacity in the areas of computer applications programming, systems programming, computer systems development, data telecommunications, data base administration, or planning of data processing or in the supervision of staff performing these duties; or
- A baccalaureate degree from an accredited college and four years of experience as described in “1” above; or
- A four-year high school diploma or its educational equivalent approved by a State’s department of education or recognized accrediting organization and six years of experience as described in “1” above; or
- A satisfactory combination of education and experience equivalent to “1”, “2” or “3” above. However, all candidates must have at least a four-year high school diploma or its educational equivalent approved by a State’s department of education or recognized accrediting organization and must possess at least three years of experience as described in “1” above, including the 18 months of administrative, managerial, executive or supervisory experience as described in “1” above.
NOTE: The following types of experience are not acceptable: superficial use of preprogrammed software without complex programming, design, implementation or management of the product; use of word processing packages; use of a hand held calculator; primarily the entering or updating of data in a system; the operation of data processing hardware or consoles.
The successful candidate must be highly motivated and well organized with excellent communication and problem solving skills with experience managing technology projects following Agile methodologies
- A bachelor’s degree and a minimum of 5 years of experience in managing technology projects for large complex organizations;
- Experience managing projects using Agile methodologies;
- Ability to manage multiple projects concurrently and at different phases of completion;
- Results oriented with demonstrated ability to complete projects on time and within budget;
- Ability to balance competing priorities, complex situations and tight deadlines;
- Ability to think outside of the box and develop novel strategies to meet business objectives;
- Ability to work independently in a fast-paced environment;
- Ability work comfortably with a wide variety of people at different levels within and outside the organization;
- Well organized with excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- 5+ years of experience managing projects;
- 2+ years of experience in vendor management or managing external teams;
- Strong knowledge and practical experience utilizing project management methodologies especially Agile;
- WBS creation; common Agile deliverables and practices; Human-Centered Design/Design Facilitation problem-solving techniques and experience;
- Project and resource planning; Agile oriented tracking tools/methods, and experience with web-based project management tools;
- Strong familiarity with Business Analysis role in creating requirements, use cases, functional specifications preferred; strong demonstration of negotiation and conflict management skills;
- Knowledge of responsive design, user experience design, prototyping, data modeling, software integration, and/or software as a service (SaaS);
- Team oriented with excellent leadership and organizational skills;
- Ability to interface with executive level management and give senior level presentations;
- PMP or Scrum Master certification;
- Criminal Justice experience.
Commensurate with experience
- cover letter
- three references